What is the full mission for responsible corporations?
Is the only mission of the corporate world to make money for shareholders?
Corporations are human endeavors, and all human endeavors should benefit our society and reflect our morals. They should provide more than just investor return.
There are many ways that corporations do benefit society:
- They provide jobs
- They produce goods and services that people want
- They provide a return to investors
But corporations must in addition meet a higher moral standard:
- To minimize activities that harm life or the environment
- To be truthful
- To bring joy to life and reduce suffering, even if in very small and mundane ways
- To stop encouraging people's craving or addiction